Sleeping Beauty

Last night I slept for 14 hours straight.  Well, not exactly straight.  I went to bed at a little after 4pm yesterday intending only to have a nap before dinner.  When I opened my eyes it was dark and I could hear my sister and her son preparing supper in the kitchen.  A glance at the clock told me it  was almost seven in the evening.  Instead of getting up, I went right back to sleep.  My next conscious knowledge was of the brightness of morning peeping through the glass door leading from my room to the terrace and the clock saying it was 6 in the morning.

My sleep pattern has gone wild since I began working in a call center.  There are days that I sleep only one hour between two night shifts.  It's a miracle that I survive the second night.  Then on my day off I sleep a straight ten hours or more.  The 14 hours I did last night was the longest I have gone so far.

Sleep patterns are not the only things that have changed drastically since I started this job.  It's a wonder my weight has stayed constant actually because of the crazy way I eat nowadays.  I still get three meals a day.  Now, I also get lots of midnight snacks.  I eat breakfast at the office because around that time, I am actually still on duty.  When I get home, I grab lunch then try to go to sleep if I don't have anything else scheduled.  At night, I have dinner with the family before I take a nap.  Before midnight I run off to work where I regularly have about two cups of coffee and snacks all to help keep me awake and alert.

I've always considered myself a night person though so this is not a big headache.  Then again . . .

No comments: