Flowers of May

I had a chance to watch the Flores de Mayo parade in Cubao yesterday.  The Araneta Center had one every Sunday of May, I heard.  Each one had a different set of sagalas and yesterday it was all about beauty queens.  Naturally, they had to be included.  The head of Binibining Pilipinas Charities was after all married to an Araneta.  Anyway, that's a whole other story.

I had to note the dresses or gowns if you may.  These girls were support to represent something about the character of the virgin Mary.  Instead, they wore something that showed off their assets.  Nothing wrong with that really but then again, the essence of the festival is lost on them and on the audience.  Too bad for us because keeping these traditions alive would augur well for our country.  I'm sure the tourism heads would agree.

That girl Venus Raj was there.  She was assigned the role of Queen of All Nations, fitting for our Miss Universe representative really.  I wish she really could fit the role but from what she showed so far, I don't believe I'm willing to support her.  maybe somebody will tell me I don't know what really happened.  From media, I hear more from her than from the other side and what she said told me that she chose to ignore warnings before the pageant.

Carlyn Aguilar was Reyna Elena.  She is very pretty I think but her face is strong, perfect for mataray roles on tv.

The Reyna Emperatriz role went to Gloria Diaz, the country's first Miss Universe winner.  She still has the body for the part of beauty queen although her face shows signs of age.  She deserves the role.  And she looked lovely in her violet gown (or was that royal blue)

No comments: