As We Gait

Last week, I heard out ideas from our students as to what research project they were going to work on. One girl wanted to study the gaits of people and see how the observations may e applied to therapy.

I recalled that yesterday as I checked out the new Food Gallery at Ali Mall in Cubao. Some of the tables were overlooking the escalators. This was a nice vintage point for watching people two levels down.

We do walk differently. Even those who kept pace with each other did not have the same walk. There could be a basis for what the student was claiming that each of us could be identified by the way we walked.

The strides were different. Some strode forward keeping their body straight. Some seemed to be marching and took long quick strides. There was one guy who swung his foot forward, stroked the ball over the floor then landed it heel first. A lady walked with her toes pointing out instead of straight forward like most people.

I also noticed that most adults walked with their usual stride even if they had kids in tow. The poor kids had to catch up so their strides were almost as long as their height or they matched their mother's two steps with three.

I got to thinking though. Would you walk the same way if you were in a hurry? How about when you are sad or happy or problematic? Do we move the same way when we are feeling sick?

Of course, my casual study would not give me the answers to these questions but it kept me from hurrying to finish my meal. I enjoyed the food and the view.

People watching can be an interesting pre-occupation.

No comments: