See the Children

I had lunch alone today but I sat at a table for four. I chose that spot because it looked out to the street and it had two couches instead of four stools for sitting. Eventually, two families sat with me one after the other.

The first one came via a three year old girl. She was exploring as all toddlers do. She was moving around and when she felt the soft seat of the couch across my table, she decided to climb onto it. She succeeded of course and sat herself straight. But when I spoke to her, she covered her eyes. The man with her scolded her for doing that and for not answering me.

She decided she did not want to sit at my table anyway and climbed down almost hitting her head on the table. She moved on towards another table until she almost walked into one of the chairs. Then she turned and went towards the table used by the staff for display sometimes.

All this time, the man was telling her to be careful and warning her when she was about to hit something. Between admonitions to the little girl, the man gave me an idea of her situation.

What was not obvious or maybe the reason she covered her eyes was that she could not see where she was actually going. She kept going anyway exploring like any three year old would, curious of everything around. The rest of the family became open when they learned that I was also born blind.

The second family had two kids, a fourteen year old boy and a six year old girl. Their mother was asking them what she should buy for them while they waited for the father who had a transaction in another establishment nearby. I offered the other couch at my table.

The two kids were at odds on what to get. The mother mentioned french fries; the boy clapped but the girl folded her arms. When mommy said fried chicken, the girl turned away but the boy looked eager for the treat. When the mother said ice cream, the girl smiled but the boy made a face.

Well, she finally made them agree on a set meal and went to the counter. The boy eyed my tray. The girl noticed and held back his hands. She had this idea that he would grab and finish my food for me. I offered them the remaining fries. He took some to the chagrin of his sister.

The girl went off to follow her mother, probably to report what happened. I offered the boy what was left of the fries and he grabbed it. Then he went for my drink but I moved it away just in time. I told him that he was not to drink from other people's glasses. I think he understood. Then I called a busboy to put away my tray.

I stayed until his mother came back then gave up my table to them. As I went out, I smiled at the toddler's family, they finally got her to settle down and eat.

They are special children but they are still children.

No comments: