Writing Less and More

This is my third post for this session. I don't think I ever did two in one day before and now I'm doing three. Cheers.

I checked my last post and I noticed that the sidebar was longer than the blog items. There was a time when I had more items on the sidebar and the posts were still longer than that.

Does that mean I'm writing shorter posts? Guess so.

I used to write for a daily bible reflection magazine called Didache. They would give us certain bible passages to reflect on and we would write our thoughts. Usually, we put in a small anecdote of how the message of the reading was applied in daily life. Those reflections were short, I don't think they went up to a hundred words. The magazine fit into the pocket of a man's jacket and we had to make sure our writing took only one page of that.

It was a great exercise in writing. You had to choose words carefully so that you could say all you wanted to say in that short space. You had to tell a story in a few sentences. You learned to communicate briefly and concisely.

But I have lots of space here. I could go on and on and on and . . .

No comments: