Trainor's Training

I would have blogged this sooner but we had an insect attack two nights running. Anyway . . .

Last Friday and Saturday, I attended a workshop seminar entitled Conducting Investigatory Projects organized and conducted by the Biology Teachers Association of the Philippines. Naturally, the projects were oriented to biology.

There were a series of topics on how to handle different types of subjects like plants, rats, brid eggs, etc. After each lecture, we were given the chance to try it out ourselves. It was a bit intimidating because I have been out of the lab for so long. My exposure since I left ITDI was lamost entirely on the business side. I had other people (mainly my students at the National Computer Center or programmers in the offices that I worked in) do most of the technical stuff.

Frankly, I had fun. I got bitten by a mouse I was trying to subdue. I got to use a pipetor with several tips at once. One of the lecturers gave us washable gloves that we could take home (it had a nice feel by the way). We toured several of the labs under the UP Institute of Biology (during which I bumped into two of our students who happen to be doing summer internship there). I even won a couple of books on biotechnology and biology researches.

Teachers do need to be updated with subject and technique.

No comments: